Six Baxter County residents (five of whom serve as Justices of the Peace on the Baxter County Quorum Court) filed suit to block the NABORS Landfill and Hauling Company sales tax initiative from being placed on the ballot in a special election.
- The plaintiffs allege the following five issues as their primary objections to this initiative:
- The signatures on the petitions are not sufficient;
- The petitions do not include the required enacting clause as required by the Arkansas Constitution, Amendment 7;
- The petitions do not include the required rebate clause as required by the Arkansas law;
- The petitions wrongly call for a special election;
- The petition calls for the issuance of bonds to purchase an asset from NABORS which it does not own;
- The petition calls for the taxation of Baxter County residence which will benefit counties which will not be subjected to the tax.